Notice to Current Living Accommodations

Blog Post Image
Real Estate

If you’re currently renting, you need to give notice to your landlord that you’re going to be moving out. By UT law, if you have a month to month lease then you only need to give 15 days notice. If you have a yearly lease, you need to look at your rental agreement for your lease expiration. You can have the conversation with your landlord about cancelling the lease agreement, but most times you will forfeit your deposit. 

What if you have a yearly lease, but it doesn’t end for quite a few months? Then you’ve got a few options:

We can try to push closing back to the end of your lease date. If that is of interest to you, please let me know.

We can find a subleaser for the remainder of your lease term. In Utah, with written approval from your landlord, we can find a subleaser for your apartment. If you want me to help you find a subleaser, just let me know. Generally it involves having photographs taken, putting the property on CraigsList and then finding a qualified tenant. Just keep in mind it’s usually easier to find a tenant from late spring/summer then it is from fall to spring.

You can choose to keep both places for the remainder of your lease so you have plenty of time to leisurely move from your rental apartment to your new home. This does mean paying the monthly rental payment plus your mortgage payment for the remainder of your lease.